Thursday, April 16, 2009

I Want My Eggs Scrabbled with Cheese

I have never worked so fast in such a short amount of time in my life. I completed my project in about 10 hours (I only had one class that day). Honestly, I don’t know how I finished it on time. God must have felt sorry for me and slowed down time while I was working on the project. First of all, I didn’t really start my project until very early Wednesday morning for various reasons, one of them being the fact that I kept changing my idea beforehand. I must have changed it a billion times before I finally was satisfied with my scrabble idea. I felt that with scrabble pieces I could creatively put the Space odyssey quote into the project, which I did. And it allowed me to do stop-motion. Stop-motion = awesomeness. I ended up using my sister’s digital camera, and it hated me with a passion. I had to drive to Wal-de-mart and buy a new memory stick because her memory stick was full, and then I had to drive all the way to her house to pick up the charger because the camera died at noon. I also had used her cell phone to a shoot a 15 second clip of a book sliding across the floor, but Final cut only imported it as a single frame, which is why it is only a single frame in the project. It was part of the story I had in mind of a book of games sliding to my feet and me opening it up and suddenly seeing words appear on a page out of nowhere. As you can see in the video, it tells me that I must play scrabble in order to win the prize; the ultimate prize being the cheese sandwich of course. Anyway, if I had used the 15 seconds then my project would have gone over one minute, so it was all good in the end, or so it seemed… I went to the editing lab that afternoon and edited faster than I had ever edited before. The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy had me mesmerized. I had been studying Tchaikovsky in music history class which is why I had the song stuck in my head. I printed to video around 9pm and raced to Cheese sandwich. It played back fine during print to video, but I forgot to see if it actually printed anything. It didn’t. So, I was a little disappointed in myself. Shit happens. At least now I will never make the mistake again of not checking it. Anyways, I was just glad to be there and see everyone else’s projects which I thought were amazingly incredible. Every time I find it fascinating how people can take the same assignment and dish out completely opposite, yet fantastic works.
If I could change anything, I would have stop-motioned each word to the point that the words would have written themselves out smoothly, but I was worried that I would run out of time at the time. Oh and one more thing, I’m sure you can notice the chalk on the floor around the scrabble pieces. I didn’t have a tripod and it was the only thing I could think of in order to have the frame in the same spot the entire time. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment