Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Yes Men

I like watching documentaries especially politically charged ones, so watching The Yes Men was great. These guys really have some guts to do what they do, but when you’re passionate about something then it doesn’t really matter what everyone else thinks. I personally thought that all the anti-corporate shit that they did was really inspirational, not to mention hilarious. I can’t believe the people in the room actually clapped for the “pleasure” suit demonstration, which was later sheepishly lauded in a newspaper article. Wake up and smell the damn coffee people.
I’m not a big fan of useless international corporations that say they are for the benefit of poorer countries when in reality they have a systematic bias towards rich countries, so I am happy to see that there are people out there like the Yes men. Satiric infiltration, it’s a very creative form of activism. 007 activism. That has a nice ring to it. Anyways, these guys were cut down with time and had to infiltrate these events on the go, so in that respect, project numero cinco ties in with this documentary. Our last project ties in better I think. These guys culture jammed the hell out of WTO, and that’s what I did to a much lesser extent with the fanta found footage that I worked on.
Another thing I was thinking about: Have these guys been sued for this? As far as I know, no. Then again, I would be LMAO if the WTO actually brought these guys to court. It would be more embarrassing to the WTO then it would be to the Yes men because it would show that they can’t control their own conferences, and plus it would draw popular reactions for the Yes men. U.S. Law on parody is probably what is protecting them.

No comments:

Post a Comment