Wednesday, February 4, 2009

"It's ALIVE!"

When one thinks of filmmaking, the word cameraless does not come to mind. People don’t realize that as long as you have film than a movie can still be made. A few years ago I probabaly wouldn’t have believed it. But I know better now. Without a camera I can experiment more, use my creativity to my full potential and I love it. I feel like a little kid working with arts and crafts sometimes. The other day it even felt as if I were working on an incredible chemistry project when we dipped the film into the developer and the other liquid. And just being in the dark room and manipulating the film with those tiny objects feels like being in a laborartory. After all, we are learning experimental techniques and experimental is a word that evokes science, but it may be closer to words like new and trial. Out of a group of scientists, we are the mad scientists vying to create the next great Frankenstein. We already have the body parts (the film), the carving knives and stitches (paint, liquid, objects), and the high voltage device (the projector) in order to bring our Frankenstein to life….muhahaha!
In other words we are creators. I can be as creative as I want to in this class. And without a camera we are forced to be the most creative we can be. With a camera you know what the image is going to look like more or less depending on the editing. Yet, as cameraless filmmakers we can only imagine in our heads what our work will look like and that is makes it even more thrilling.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post Charlie! I do feel that 6x1 is about connecting with your inner mad scientist. Its both fun and ground breaking.

    ReplyDelete