Thursday, February 5, 2009

Types of Animation

I enjoyed reading "Notes Toward a Theory of Animation." It gave me insight into certain things that I had not given much thought before. First of all, I grew up on Disney films and saturday morning cartoons, so animation played a big part of my life when I was a kid. In fact, I would even go as far to say that the 90s was the golden age of the Saturday morning cartoon. The storylines were better, the animation was hand-drawn and well done, not like the poor 3D animation shows you see today. I guess I am a little biased. Anyway, those movies and shows followed orthodox animation which includes configuration, specific continuity, a narrative form, and a unity of style. This is far from experimental animation which itself is very captivating, and which I have come to appreciate because in many ways it is the most difficult animation. It is an animation that is "more concerned with rhythm and movement in its own right as opposed to rhythm and movement of a particular character." Experimental animation rejects continuity. Its bias is more "aesthetic and non-narrative" (in the traditional sense). It can evoke emotions or ideas of the artist. The audience in most cases is forced to interpretate the animation on their own if not predetermined by the artist. One can incorporate music easily as well as many different styles depending on the personal vision of the artist. Indeed, it is animation that is more personal.
What struck me as one of the main advantages that experimental animation has over orthodox animation is the "presence of the artist." There is a relationship between the artist and the work and the "abstract nature of the films insists upon the recognition of their individuality." A relationship bewteen the artist and the audience is also mediated through the artist's work. In contrast, the industrial process of disney and anime animation deemphasizes the individual and focuses on the standard large number of animators. Nevertheless, I enjoy both orthodox and experimental animation. One is like prose and the other is like poetry as the author simple put it.

No comments:

Post a Comment