Thursday, February 26, 2009

St. Louise

Watching the Scratch Film Junkies again after having done the elements project was interesting. You know, it was like seeing them in a new light because I had walked in their shoes. I had manipulated and scratched film like they had. I knew the process behind the image. At least some processes. Anyway, St.Louise was different in that it incorporated many symbols unlike the last film I saw. At the beginning there are images of body parts from a hospital diagram that cross the frame. Words, music notes, and scientific symbols also cross the screen. Rotating arrows follow. One can call it animated symbolism perhaps. Then suddenly appears a werewolf that is stuck in the sand at the beach. Wtf? Anyway, the incorporation of found footage was nice especially as different colors passed over making it look as if the film was tinted. Their work is full of color and many layers of paint that it makes me wish I had used more paint in certain sections of my elements project. This time I also noticed that they had scratched words into the film. Again, I enjoy their work and this film was just as if not more eye-tantalizing than the last film I saw. I wonder why they called it St. Louise?

No comments:

Post a Comment